Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kory Quinn,The American Music Preservation Project and a New Hair cut.

Yesterday I talked with Kory Quinn from the Portland Field Recording Project.
 
Portland Field Recording...Have music will travel.


He is a real awesome guy. Last year they cut over 100 records in the Portland area. They run off the same concept as we do. They record people for free because they like doing it and they think it is important to archive what is happening here locally. It might take 20 or 30 years for people to understand that what we are doing is important, but I rest assured the cream always rises and time has a way of sorting everything out.

 It isn't any secret that the music Portland turns out is amazing and cutting edge. I asked him if we could get together so I could pick his brain for ideas.


Portland Mobile Recording Fundraiser (Correct me if
I'm wrong Kory).
 Let me tell you guys, Kory is on the top of his game....a modern day Renaissance man. Musician, song writer, studio engineer, and soccer coach. How can you get any cooler right?

Anyways he is going to get together a group of the best of the best singer songwriters in the Portland area that he knows and we are going to head up there for the first part of our tour. (early July it looks like.)  He wants to line up a group of musicians and spend a day or two tracking every one's 'important' tracks. You know...hanging out and having a good time cutting records as opposed to the sterile stressful environment of a standard recording studio.

Here is their blog...check it out.
http://portlandfieldrecordings.blogspot.com/ 
 
John Browne Jr. With his axe.

In addition we are hooking up with John Browne Jr. and his crew. John and his group of friends are famous. If you don't know who they are rent the movie 'Red Dog Hotel'. Its rad. We are hoping to line up around the same time in the same area, this looks like it is going to be an amazing kick off to the AMPPf trip. John Browne Jr. is from the early San Fransisco Scene. He is attempting to get together some of the cats that eventually made what came to be know as the San Fransisco sound of the sixties. He is an amazing guitar player and I have had the joy of recording him once already. It was a solo session, but this session should be a group of a few close friends of his who were also active in the early S.F. scene (see also the grateful dead, The warlocks, the Jug band, The Carleton's) Not to mention we get to head out east from Portland instead of the dreadful south on I-5 trip that I have made 50 times. Been there done that. No thanks. Maybe on the way back.

Thank you Kory for helping us. Your local intelligence on what is happening and who's who in the Portland Metro area is priceless. Kory is one of the guys who knows what is happening in the scene. He has his finger on the pulse of the truthful music.


 On a totally unrelated note:

Ladies and Gentlemen I have done it.

I have sold out :)

I have cut my hair. No longer am I rocking the long hair and beard that my hairstylist affectionately referrers  to as the Jesus look. In the past it was the monetary restrains of having to play 25 bucks every two weeks for a haircut, but those days have long since disappeared. I must admit that in the past there were several things that ranked higher on my list of importance than hair cuts and shaving (like replacing the air in my tires, or putting a friend of mine into lower stratosphere orbit), but this new position I have found myself in as the head of a Non-Profit requires a certain rearrangement to this list.

Check out the new and improved Joshua 'Lomax' Smith....brought to you in Technicolor. Do hate me because I look more like a cop than I did before. Trust me....I am still sympathetic to the cause.

Fight the Power.

THE AMP Project

http://AmericanMusicPreservation.org/

Joshua Lomax Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment